Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Angel and the Workout

    Meagan was hot! A classic beauty - inside and out. Who knew that this lovely little darling of many a college boy's eye would play such an influential role in my pursuit of chasing down tennis balls.

    Meagan was clearly way out of my league. I was a wayward soul - looking for the next bit of pleasure and someone to hit tennis balls with.

   A lasting relationship was not very high up on my list of priorities. Girls, tennis, beer and my beer-drinking buddies were enough to keep this 22 year old grad student plenty happy.

    One cold winter night after doing a few miles around the indoor track in the University fitness center , i peaked in on the room where all the rowing machines and stationary bikes were. I'd never had any reason to venture into that room - all i ever went there for was the indoor run - and the weight room.

   Winter is a wonderful season and i enjoy getting outdoors in all four seasons. Running in sub-freezing temperatures is not high on my list of fun ways to stay in shape.

   As i peaked in to check out the long line of bikes and treadmills i noticed a couple strange looking devices along one wall. As i looked closer i finally figured out that these must be rowing machines.

    Then she spoke to me - maybe God asked her to be nice to that wayward soul she encountered that cold December night. Do you like to row she asked? Speaking to her was surprisingly easy. For some strange reason I had no desire to hit on her and try to lure her into a night of partying and pleasure. I sheepishly told her that i had never been in a boat and had no idea how to do these rowing machine things.

    Well, she must have been an Angel - before i knew it she was guiding me onto this strange looking contraption. I felt like a moose on a tricycle. And yet she took a few minutes to help me get started on what soon became one of my favorite workouts! After just 10 minutes i was really breathing hard. My heart was racing. And my arms and legs were feeling the effects of this great little workout.

    I don't know what ever happened to that beautiful angel God sent to me on a frigid winter's eve. I ventured back into that room from time to time and tried my best to get past 25 minutes on that incredible workhorse of a fitness machine. I had little problem jogging for 25 or 30  minutes. The rowing machine was another matter.

    The moment i stood up i knew i had just experienced a real workout.

    If you want to add some variety to your fitness regimen and don't mind burning a ton of calories in a short time you might enjoy having your very own rower. First, check one out in a gym or health club near you. Or head to the nearest nice hotel and ask if you can see their fitness room. See for yourself how simple this powerful calorie burner is.

    Get on it and try it out. You'll most likely start to feel the burn in a matter of minutes - unless you already rival the fitness level of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

    If you're looking for some serious and effective body shaping help - try an Indoor Rowing Machine

No comments: