Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Quickest way to lose weight

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

What on earth happened? My temple has become an overweight, ignored, even ugly mess of fat and age-induced wrinkles. The months of inactivity and unhealthy food choices have resulted in ( big surprise ) - an unsightly beer-belly ( although that beer a month probably has little to do with this belly! ), and less than optimal upper body strength. Where did those months go?

There are no do-overs when it comes to our bodies. What we have is a direct result of the choices we make - in diet and physical activity. Months of eating donuts and sugar-laden candy and cookies have enabled me to add some very unwelcome pounds to this old body. The twice or three times per week workouts were just not enough to ward off the extra pounds.

On the positive side - I still have the ability to get out and walk for an hour without dropping over. I can still do some of the basic exercises we all learn in middle school and high school.

I can choose to ignore or postpone the urges to pick up a bag of cookies or my favorite candy. I can eliminate the white bread and use whole wheat instead for those much-loved sandwiches. There are ample quantities of heart-healthy fruits and vegetables available at the store I can easily walk to.

Make healthy food choices, exercise and lose weight fast!

Luckily, there are options. I know what works - and each time i glance in the mirror can plainly see what doesn't. The health experts all seem to agree - the quickest way to lose weight is a twofold approach. Start getting in shape - fast, and start eating healthy foods. Not the sugary crap I so enjoy!

Dear Lord Thank You for giving me the opportunity improve and choices to turn my body into your Temple!

No comments: