Thursday, October 9, 2008

How to Lose Stomach Fat

One of life’s greatest mysteries - How to Lose stomach fat - has been haunting me for weeks now. Ever since we spent an afternoon at the local pool and I was too embarrassed to take off my shirt. I’ve somehow grown a beer belly. If I were a woman people would ask me when the baby is going to arrive. Yep – its time to start losing a few pounds – around the old middle. Time to tighten up those abs. Time to shed my beer belly!

Getting rid of my pot-belly is a reachable goal isn’t it? The much dreaded and often laughed about beer belly seems to have taken hold of my mid-section. I never looked like this in college. And I drank way more in those eight years of college than I have in the decade since. What is happening to me? Does this happen to others as well?

Sitting in the mall last weekend – waiting for the wife to wrap up her shopping – I watched as hundreds of shoppers passed by. Many were in much the same shape as I – carrying around a few extra pounds. Probably a pant size or two larger than they were just a few years ago. I don’t even know where she hid my jeans with the 32 inch waist. Probably sitting in some goodwill or thrift store right now. Or, long ago sold to some skinny soul.

How did we manage to stay slim in college while we partied and drank gallons of beer every weekend? Our tennis team was famous around campus for having the greatest parties every spring. We would hit tennis balls for hours after classes and then eat everything in sight for supper. How could we eat so much and enjoy so many fun-filled evenings and still manage to stay in decent shape?

Now that I’ve joined the corporate world and fifty plus hours are spent in the office each week, finding time for tennis or any sort of exercise is a real challenge. Getting the kids off to school and then rushing off to the office for yet another ten hour day. Coming home for a little family time around the supper table and some homework time with the little ones pretty much accounts for an average weekday!

Now that I’ve run through every excuse known to mankind - the time has come to make some time for exercise in my daily schedule. If I don’t plan for it – and stick to the plan - it will get pushed aside like so many other good ideas. Maybe if I start now, I’ll soon figure out the answer and stop wondering how to lose stomach fat! Maybe I’ll be in better shape by next Summer and be able to shed my shirt at the pool!

No comments: