Friday, November 9, 2007

The Morning Walk


A morning walk is one of my favorite habits. Of all life's pleasures surely walking has to rank in my top five. Right after - well you know - and playing with the kids, and quiet time with the little lady and eating and... OK, call me a dork - my kids do! My morning walks help kick start my day. Those twenty or thirty minutes spent walking refresh my spirit. Walking in the cool morning air allows me to visualize my day. It is an excellent time to think on the goals and tasks for the day ahead. My morning walk is good for the soul and gives me added energy throughout the day.
Many a new idea can pass thru my little brain during my morning walk. Many a pleasant thought or memory. And the occasional bad ones too. Walking somehow helps me suppress those unhealthy negative thoughts. Why waste time on thoughts you'd really rather not entertain in the first place? When one of those unfriendly memories enters my mind I try to change the course and think of something more pleasant. Or pray!

As an added bonus, I'm burning calories. OK, call me lame again - I'll freely admit it. I could just as easily be burning twice the calories on my TreadClimber and listening to some motivational tracks or watching a good video. But who can pass up a crisp, beautiful autumn morning to enjoy some quiet time in all of God's splendor? Or better yet to share with your spouse, children, or favorite walking buddy.

November is such a wonderful month for getting outside. The cool, crisp morning air refreshes our senses and feels so good to breathe. November reminds us to enjoy the great outdoors while we can. Before long many of us will be wishing for mornings in the 40s or 50s. That walk at lunch in your shirt sleeves or light jacket on a pleasant autumn day will soon be just another nice memory.

Why not eat a healthy lunch and slip outside for a pleasant half hour of stress relief and enjoy a brisk walk? Some experts suggest even as few as fifteen minutes will make a big difference in your energy level for the rest of the day.

No comments: